A Chat With A Powerman - Awangku Ezlyman

In the run up to Powerman Malaysia 2018 which will be held on March 4th 2018, there will be a two-part interview with two duathlete/triathletes who are competing in the event next year in this blog.

First up is a popular figure in the multi-sports scene; Awangku Ezlyman.
Tell me about yourself.
My name is Awangku Ezlyman but people normally call me Jeli. I started cycling in 2010 and running in 2011 but I wasn’t fast by any means.
Have you participated in previous edition of Powerman before?
I participated in three Powerman previously:
2013 - Sprint Distance.
2016 - Classic Distance.
2017 - Classic Distance. 

I know you are a runner too but which came first? Running or cycling? How does it evolve into you doing multi-sports races?
Cycling came first then followed by running. I started joining duathlon/triathlon races in 2012 because my friends persuaded (read – forced) me to try something new.

Starting from there, I became addicted to multi-sports races because I love the events’ atmosphere, the crowd and most importantly, I love the pain.     

How do you juggle between working full time, family & social life and training?
This is a very tricky question. 

Time management is the key to anything, hence you have to plan your training time vs family time vs social life time. Although it's not easy, it's manageable.  Normally I will have a short run or swim during the weekdays after office hours and if time permits, I will do a quick spin on my bike trainer as well. But I will make sure I will do long run or long ride during the weekends.

If I have multi-sports races, I will make sure I will include brick training in my training plan (normally during the weekend). 

Can you share with us your training program for a duathlon? What is your most important training session to prepare for a duathlon event?
Normally, I will use the free training plans available in the internet (ie RG Active) and choose the training plan that is best suited with my target/goal, fitness level and training duration.

In any multi-sports training, brick training is the most important element in one’s training plan. Normally for Powerman Malaysia, I will opt for 8 weeks training plan to condition my body and mind because I have to get used to rolling route and heat in Putrajaya.   

"A so-called “brick” consists of a full bike workout followed immediately by a full run workout; in other words, it's a session in which each part could stand alone as a complete workout. A transition run is a short run—usually 10 to 20 minutes—after a full bike ride."

What is your constant motivation to keep you focused on your training?
I love group activities, so I will invite a group of friends to train together. For me, they are my constant motivation to focus on my training plan.  
Do you have a special diet during your training cycle to prepare for a particular event?
I'm not podium material, so my answer – No. #makankenatop

Apart from Powerman 2018, what other duathlon/triathlon races will you join in the near future?
Maybe Port Dickson International Triathlon, Challenge Iskandar, Kerian Duathlon. 
What is your advise for those planning to join a duathlon for the first time in Powerman 2018?
Start your base training now (cycling and running), include speedwork and brick training in your training plan because major events like Powerman has a very strict cut off time.
Enjoy the training, enjoy the journey. All the best.  

About Powerman Malaysia:
Powerman, the pinnacle of duathlon competition globally, is the platform for ardent runners and cyclists to master both disciplines. The run-bike- run race format held in Putrajaya last March broke its own Malaysia Book of Records figure with over 3,500 participants registered and competed in the
race.

“Duathletes in Malaysia and the Asia region is growing significantly. This is evident with the increasing number of multi-sport athletes, especially runners and cyclists who come out to compete at the Powerman Asia Duathlon Championships – Malaysia. We will continue our efforts to provide a quality platform for participants to compete, and ultimately grow the running and cycling industry in across the region,” said Andrew Ching, Chief Executive Officer of E-Plus Global Sdn Bhd.

The Powerman Asia Duathlon Championships – Malaysia comprises of four categories – Individual Classic and Team Relay Classic (10km – 60km – 10km), and the Individual Short and Team Relay Short (5km – 30km – 5km) and will be held on Sunday, 4 March 2018.

Andrew added that the Asia Championship also promotes duathlon at the grassroots level.

“PowerKIDS is a programme catered for children between the age of 5 and 12. We believe that by building their foundation in these two disciplines, we will be developing a stronger multi-sport community in the long run.”

PowerKIDS will be categorized into three aged groups – 5 to 7 years old (0.4km – 1km – 0.4km), 8 to 10 years old (0.8km – 2km – 0.8km), and 11 to 12 years old (1.2km – 3 km – 1.2km) and will be held on Saturday, 3 March 2018.

Interested participants can register at www.powermanmalaysia.com.

Do also LIKE and follow us at our Cik Arnab & En Kura-Kura Facebook page for more race and race photos updates.

Comments

  1. This interview is interesting for me to learn a few things. He loves the pain and his time management is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know you learn new things Anay.
      One day, I must schedule appointment and interview Letchumi, if she has the time to spare. ;)

      Delete
    2. Wah! Letchumi would be flattered. She is small compared to your glam running credentials. Maybe I should interview you instead for my blog post.

      Delete
    3. You totally should!

      Letchumi has so many notches on her belt, it'll be an interesting read

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts