Running Around KL

Well, not as much as those doing the full marathon (42.1K) but me and a few thousand other runners did get a chance to see KL on foot! (Not to mention accidentally stepping on a roadkill or two! I so need to focus where I put my feet. ahaha)

I woke up at 4am and while I was getting ready, I took the opportunity to watch the full marathoners in action from my hotel room. The first 10 runners (all Kenyans?) had a pretty big lead against the other runners.

It started to drizzle when the last few batches of full marathoners passed the hotel we stayed in, along the stretch of Jalan Travers.  It was just a short drizzle though.

Zaini accompanied me to the shuttle bus stop at 5.15am, which was almost right beside the hotel and waved goodbye. As I was running a half-marathon this time, I went to the race site alone. No point of making Zaini wait for me for three hours, right?

Taking the shuttle bus made it so convenient for me to get to the race site alone. The shuttle bus driver not only picked us up at KL Sentral, he'd stop every time we passed by runners walking towards Dataran Merdeka and let them board the bus. Good gesture by the driver.

While I was puffing along the roads on KL City Centre, Zaini and Raimie had a leisurely continental breakfast at the hotel club lounge! My breakfast? Kit-kat bought from 7-Eleven. Chocolates is good energy food, you know! ^^ Anyway, Zaini and Raimie did go to Dataran Merdeka afterwards at around 8.00am.

I had a game plan for this race but on the morning of the race, I kinda had to ditch it and run as comfortably as I can. The reason? The time of the month came, along with tummy cramps and grumpiness! I did however try to match my plan, and the first 5K warm-up trot was on pace. Anyways, even if I want to run faster, I can't. There were so many runners in front of me (as always, I started at the back) that it would have been a waste of energy for me to weave in and out trying to overtake runners.

I didn't stop at any of the water stations for the first 10K because I unintentionally ran holding a bottle of mineral water. I brought it along to sip before the race and had wanted to throw the half full bottle but couldn't find a trash can so I kinda brought it along the race. Then, at KM10.5 I added another item along the race. One whole banana. It was heavy that it made my running skirt droop. Full & half-marathoners were served with bananas (and of course drinks) there and I took one thinking I would be hungry before I finish the run. Turned out, the banana "ran" with me all to the finish line.

Along KM11, somebody said hi to me. It was Massy! Thanks for saying hi to me and pacing with me. You made me picked up my pace running alongside you. Plus it was nice to chit-chat with you. Kinda lost her at the next water station. I tried to push a bit, to see if I can make that 2hr 30min HM, but every time I picked up pace, tummy cramps made itself known and I was soooo afraid that I might accidentally "eject" something from my behind! If that happens, it would be sooooo GROSS! @.@

Not much of crowd support other than the nice volunteers along the route and I made sure I smiled back at them. Crowd support along Jalan Sultan Ismail and Jalan Ampang (almost at the final stretch) came in form of being honked by irate drivers caught in a jam. A few runners happily wave at them! I like! Hahaha
Upon reaching Sogo the crowd got bigger there as the 10K runners also joined the route. There was a couple minutes left to make it for the 2hr 30min HM so I decided I might as well try and have a go at it. "Pia"ed like crazy towards the finish line.
Push! Push! Push! Just a little bit more. Suffer now and glory later! Hahaha See that guy in green in front of me? He and another guy blocked my way for a few seconds but I overtook him. Sweet!
The finishers' zone was a mess with runners not making their way out and I amost missed the Yoogood bar that were handed out. Sesaklah! Got a bottle of mineral water, called Zaini to ask his whereabouts and then made my way to collect my goodie bag. Nothing much inside, just my medal (most important stuff one need to put in a goodie bag!), a can of 100-Plus and a banana.
Then, time to smile for the camera!
Front and back view of my first ever Half-marathon medal.
Along with the medal, I got this too to bring back home. Nope, they are not painful. The ones that are painful are the chafing I got at a couple of unmentionable places. LOL
 How did I do? The unofficial results from SCKLM tracker. 1min 29sec behind target.

Comments

  1. wow... I never had a chance to join any sort of marathon here.. I wish i am as active as you...
    and congratulations to your medal... I'm sure it was such a tiring yet a rewarding experience for you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of road races there... maybe you can join the shorter & fun ones and treat it as a workout? ;)

      Thanks bluedreamer! Funnily enough, it wasn't all that tiring. More like just FUN! I had a great time.

      Delete
  2. lina why you didnt wear the standard chartered singlet? kekeke... try to be difference?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How easy was it for you to spot me in the photos?

      That;s the answer lah. kekeke

      Delete
  3. you are good and keep the city clean for not litter.. and it helps you too..
    no need to stop for a drink...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't usually drink for the first 10K of my training run anyway. But yes, when I do need to, I don't need to stop for a drink.

      Plus the first few water stations are usually more packed than the later ones. ^^

      Delete
  4. well lina I think that you did very good .. and the tummy cramp really spoil it huh..
    congrats for your first ever half marathon..
    I am sure there will be more to come in....
    and most important I see that you enjoy yourself...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't let the cramp spoil my day this time! It just slowed me down a bit, but other than that, no problem! ^^

      Thanks. Yes, I enjoyed myself immensely there. :)

      Delete
  5. wei lina .. kaki ada basuh ke? kakakakaka...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hallow! That time, sudah mandi some more tau! hahaha

      Delete
  6. That's a great timing for a first HM!
    May there be more to come

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doc!

      Hope there'll be more to come too! And more distance to try too! ^^

      Delete
  7. Great job on the first HM!
    No worry with the timing, your next one will sure beat the 2.5hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neoh!

      You did a great job too!

      Yeah, need and will try to better my timing! :)

      Delete
  8. Yeeee-ha! Congratulations on your first half marathon! Tummy cramps, blisters and chafing notwithstanding; and you still had energy to smile for the camera!

    Well done, jungle woman! ☆*:.。. o(≧▽≦)o .。.:*☆

    PS: Kenyans? I keep telling you, us Africans are used to running away from lions and leopards and especially each other! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd feel like dying and probably still will try to flash a smile if I see a camera up ahead! The power of stationing cameraman at strategic places to make runners run cannot be scoffed at. LOL

      Results of this year's SCKLM (and most of other marathons around the world at that) : Kenyan & Ethiopian. I guess I should train by getting chased by wild animals someday! kekeke

      Delete
    2. You can start chasing the kampung chickens first!

      Delete
    3. Do you know how hard it is to find kampung chicken now? LOL

      Delete
  9. Good job on your first HM, tummy cramps and all. I agree with Neoh, things can only get better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Likewise Nick! You did an awesome first FM!

      Things can only get better for us, right? :)

      Delete
  10. Congrats on your debut! Like I said 2:15 is a shoo-in. Plan for it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie.

      Will definitely plan and train for that timing. But not too sure about it being a shoo-in. ;p

      Delete
  11. Wah a pampered lady! You stayed in a nearby hotel horrrr.... Why I never thought of that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easier mah. A lot of roads closed some more. And I don't want hubby & son to wait 3 hours in the car for me! @.@

      Anyways, plenty of runners do that too, albeit at other hotels nearby Dataran. :)

      Delete
  12. My honey ran almost all KL runs till last year. I had to wake up and send her always, then flag her off then zzzzzzz in the car. Later got to photograph her finishing the lines...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wah! So your honey like me, and you like my hubby lah. The women run around, while the men zzzz in the car and then later, take our photos when we are finishing! LOL

      Delete
    2. Next run, I will go to Old Town and have breakfast with your hubby ok.

      Delete
    3. Hahaha... can...

      where's the nearest one. It opens early in the morning kah? ;p

      Delete
  13. I should have booked a hotel for the past years.... That would be easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely easier (and pricier) kakaka

      Delete
  14. So far I only ran the Siemens and Men's Health at Putrajaya night run. I liked it esp running across Bukit Tunku. Lovely fresh air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This year, not running leh? Didn't see doctor about the knee?

      I like Bukit Tunku's fresh air too, but I don't like the hills! ;p

      Delete
  15. Congratulations to you Lina. May you keep running till you a grandmother! Muahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TM!

      Yeah, I intend to do that. ^^

      Delete
  16. Kak Lina,
    CONGRATS to you on your 1st HM.
    I LOL-ed reading your post especially the part where you ran with the banana. hahahahhahaha.
    I pun ada almost the same incident,not banana though but I ran with 1 full-loaded handheld water bottle all the way to the finishing line.
    penat je bawak extra loaded. kahkahkah.

    alahai, rugilah tak cari akak that day... if u dont mind, can i ask for ur hp number? can email me at farahfn@gmail.com :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dearie! How was yours? Hope it's good. The weather was kind to us that day. ^^ Plus the route is ala-ala Putrajaya route. Rata... ;p

      That extra load - think of it as weight training for your arm. kakaka

      I wasn't long at Dataran after I finished. Kejar brekafast kat hotel. hahaha

      Nnt I email my hp no. OK? :)

      Delete
  17. Hi Lina, got your blog link from nannoor. Just wanted to congratulate you on a HM well done! Drawing inspiration from you. :)

    @runfairyrun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting.

      Hari tu lari tak?

      Delete
    2. Harro Lina, just saw your comment on my running blog (Run Fairy Run) about my sweat bands (yes I daresay it's bordering fetishism). Vaseline is such a good idea, I know now the pain of thigh chaffing! (Gatal try running shorts baru on SCKLM, I'm usually a tights girl).

      Yes I did run on Sunday. 10k Cruise hehe. Shaved off 4 mins from last year's achievement. Happy with how I did, but of course obsessing how I can do better in the future (perangai buruk sang pelari).

      I hear you're doing some sort of LSD session? Ke apa tah, Nannoor dok habaq. Apa cer?

      Delete
    3. Alamak! Baru perasan ini comment today!

      Itu LSD. Well, I do two loops around the core island of Putrajaya (Presint 2, 3, 18, 5, 4 balik Presint 2) sometimes during the weekends. Saturdays usually. Itu ler LSD session nye.

      Nak join ke? ^^

      Warning - I run happy happy. Slow & easy. Nama pun LSD kan? kekeke

      Delete
    4. Also, congrats on shaving 4 minutes off! That's a lot! :)

      Delete
  18. Congrats Lina! All the training paid off :) I have friends who joined all the way from here. One joined the 42K and the other the 5K. Great way to see KL :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's is so awesome! Tell your friends, GREAT JOB! :)

      Yeah, the run was definitely a great way to see KL. If you run the full marathon, you get to cover like 75% of the city area. That's cool, right? ;p

      Delete
    2. Way cool! Save a lot of money too :)

      Delete
  19. well done beb!!!! i ran as well, it was last min decision which i made on Monday. but of course being me the slow runner..I jog throughout and did it in 3 hr 7 mins..slow gila kan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not yet end of year and you did your HM! That's great! :)
      Screw timing. ^^

      Delete
  20. Kudos! Well done! First and more to come!

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow, a debut HM at 2:31 is nothing short of excellent. tabik sprinnggg!

    (sorry only today I got around to moderating the comments on my blog, that's when I saw the link to yours. glad to know another runner!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Mims!

      Hahaha... ala, route tu was quite easy. Almost everbody can PB and ran well there, right?

      Thanks for dropping by! :)

      Delete
  22. so this was the big day you have been looking forward to?? haha..

    ReplyDelete
  23. i had to sleep late because only arrived home a little earlier than you woke up on sunday morning, haha!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thing you slept and didn't go out Sunday morning.

      Otherwise, you'd probably have been cursing us 28,000 runners who made you stuck in a jam that morning because only vehicles have the rights to use roads, not those on feet.

      Delete
  24. and when i went out in the noon, i saw many people coming back wearing that blue jersey and carrying that goodies bag..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wah! Those people waited around Dataran for a while. ;p

      I ran, I took my goodie bag and almost immediately head back to the hotel (and stink up the LRT in the process) to eat breakfast. ;p

      Delete
  25. hahaha, so were you missing your boys while you were running?? they were having the lavish continental breakfast in the hotel lounge while you were sweating on the run~~ :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zaini actually tried to "poison" me against going out for a run and enjoy a quiet breakfast instead. LOL

      Delete
  26. hmmm, is there some problem with the commenting system today?? my comments kept missing after putting in a new one.. went into spam box is it??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems like it. Maybe because blogger thinks you are a spammer as you commented A LOT today! haha

      Delete
  27. wow, not bad you did it in 2.5 hours, less than the 3 hours you've expected?? hahaha.. whatever lah, as long as you can get the finisher medal right??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually want to do a better timing. Finisher medal + bonus = good time. ;p

      Delete
  28. OMG, scary feet!! so you also brought back a few blisters on your feet huh?? consolation prize for your SC marathon, haha~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha... where got scary! I haven't shown you my toe yet! LOL

      Delete
  29. Oh! That time of the month coincides with this marathon run? How untimely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I expected it already but was hoping it to be late this month. It didn't. ;p

      Delete
  30. Wah! Got stomach cramps still go run ah? Definitely an addict LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not an addict lah!

      Just that, how can I miss the biggest running event in Malaysia!

      And I was glad I didn't miss it. :)

      Delete
  31. Congrats for completing it even though it's just slightly exceed your expected time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1min is actually a whole lot of time! ;(

      Delete
  32. Ooh! The corn at your feet! I thought you suffered that in Japan? You still having them now? : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Japan's blister was gone.

      This two were a new one. Will be gone by next week. ;p

      Delete
  33. Well done, lina. I always want to join marathon, but never do once until now. Blame to my lazy butt, I can't wake so early.

    ReplyDelete
  34. ouch! sakit la :X u take care alright? :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the concern KF!

      Pain all gone already. Now ready for more pain! LOL

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts