Two Weddings In The Family : Part III - The Bersanding & Berinai Ceremony

We had a busy weekend last week. After my Sis' akad nikah ceremony, we raced off to Sungai Koyan to follow my brother-in-law's wedding convoy which is about 40km from Raub town. Then, after the Isya' prayer, we raced off again to Raub to attend my Sis' berinai besar ceremony.

On Sunday, after my Brother-in-law's akad nikah, was the bersanding ceremony. I had to miss my Sis' bersanding ceremony because both were held at the same time, that was after the Zohor prayer.

Photos of my brother-in-law's bersanding ceremony:

The bride and bridegroom are called "Raja Sehari" which literally meant "King and Queen for the day", so it is fitting for them to sit on a dais, called the "pelamin" and be celebrated by all guests.

Bunga Pahar, decorative flower with egg to be given to guests who came and "menepung tawar" which is sprinkling yellow rice and scented water at the newlyweds by family members, relatives and guests as a sign of blessing.

The bride coming out to greet the bridegroom before the bersanding ceremony.

The bridegroom. Zaini was the "pengapit" or best man that day.

Greeting the husband.

Menepung tawar by the bridegroom's father.

Makan beradab. A special table for the newlyweds and their closest family member.


These were some photos of my Sis' Majlis Berinai besar the night before:

The wedding dais.

The head table for the newlyweds to makan beradab on Sunday. I took this photo on Saturday, while the neighbours were still busy setting up chairs and tables under the canopy.

The menepung tawar ceremony. Close family members and guests were invited to menepung tawar.
Bunga telur, a must for guests at a Malay wedding. Flower and egg signify a symbol of a fertile union.

Comments

  1. Wow I love the silkish-looking attires of the raja sehari. It feels great being the king and queen even if for a day doesn't it? XD

    Just one thing, I don't think you were in the pics, or did I see wrongly? *rubs eyes*

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dais is so prettily done up!
    For Chinese newly-weds, they are stressed and rushed for time with many traditional rites to go through. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jim,
    they wore Songket for the bersanding and berinai ceremony.

    I wasn't in the photos because I was busy playing photographer. :D

    @ECL,
    but all the traditional rites that makes the wedding day special. :D

    Like I said to Jim, when can I see Chinese wedding photos from you, as the groom's mom? ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Malay weddings are normally grand affairs where the couple is treated as royalty, aren't they? :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the rich colors, truly for the king and queen of the day. This is my first time seeing a different wedding far from my catholic traditional custom. It's very nice! It must be hard going back and forth to both weddings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Life Ramblings,
    Because a marriage is to be celebrated by all, it is such a joyous occassion for not only the couple but also the family to remember.

    @Ayie,
    Tell me about it! We were rushing all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never attended a Malay wedding before.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Mei Teng,
    really? Never mind, if one of my sis getting married, I'll invite you. But have to travel to Raub lah. We don't do at hotel one, we are Kampung people. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, rushing here and there! Like "Amazing Race To 2 Weddings & A Bunga Telur" Haha! Nice photos btw : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. @foong,
    Hahaha... lucky it's just two weddings.

    Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. a pleasant weekend to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Ayie,
    and you too! Going anywhere during this weekend? Dinner at Tony Roma's perhaps? :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. we had busy weekends lately so we just decided to stay at home then at night watched a funny movie..the hangover =) no nearby tony roma's in our area =(

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Ayie,
    nothing beats chilling out at home. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts